A Classic



I recently discovered a cookbook from the late 1800s. I am making it my goal to reinterpret as many of the recipes as possible. The first one I decided upon was for cinnamon rolls. The recipe originally wasn't a yeast based recipe, but I decided to add yeast. What resulted was a delicious bread that was a mix between a loaf bread and a cinnamon roll. I baked it in a cake round to make for easy cutting. A quick icing of powered sugar, cream, and vanilla made the bread perfect for breakfast, dessert, or a midday snack.


 RECIPE:

2 cups sugar
4 eggs
4 tablespoons butter
4 teaspoons baking powder
4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups milk
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 packet dry active yeast
4 tablespoons cinnamon
1/4 cup brown sugar

Cream the butter and sugar, add the eggs, yeast, and milk. Sift the flour, salt, baking soda, and nutmeg together. Add to wet mixture. Allow to rise for several hours in a well greased cake round. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown. Drizzle an icing of powdered sugar, vanilla, and cream over the cooled bread.




Comments

Popular Posts